Thursday, August 22, 2013

Looking back on the 2012 NBA Draft

The 2012 NBA Draft was approximately 15 months ago.  Football season is beginning, and NBA players will soon be in full swing within their respective franchises.  Here is an analysis on the players I appear to have hit on, missed on, and others who I still need to see more from.

Starting with the positives, here are the players I hit on:

-Anthony Davis (My rank 1, drafted 1)- OK, I understand he was the no-brainer to go number one, and is widely thought (myself included) to have a very bright future filled with multiple all-star berths.  Glad I didn't mess this one up!

-Damian Lillard (My rank 5, drafted 6)- Boom!  The Blazers got their guy- and the one I advocated for the team to draft- and he has looked to be a future all-star, as his grade of 84 indicates my prediction he would.  If he improves his defense to at least the 60th percentile of starting PGs, nothing will hold him back from greatness.  And to think:  Some experts rated him as a late lottery pick instead of a top 5 pick.

-Andre Drummond (My rank 7, drafted 9)- In ways, I think I underrated Drummond by rating him 7th on my board.  However, considering the fact he was drafted 9th, I can count this is a victory.  He looks like a potential Dwight Howard-esque athlete at the center position, and has the appearance of a very successful double double center.  He will make an all-star appearance at some point (Grade of 81 on draft day), but his mindset needs to grow if he is going to become a centerpiece.

Miss:

-Moe Harkless (My rank 31, drafted 15)- Harkless looks like a great building block for the Magic, though I hope Tobias Harris' presence does not limit his growth.  I saw a player who was too raw to compete initially, especially offensively, which resulted in my rating him 31 (the first spot outside the first round).  When comparing him to many of the other players I rated ahead of him, it is clear I rated him too low.

- Scott Machado (My rank 23, undrafted FA)- Machado has bounced around the league, and was cut by Golden State a few weeks ago.  I really thought Machado could be a definite rotation player at the minimum! I thought he had the potential of a fringe starter, which is why I gave him a rating in the 20s.  The teams in the league have been very wary of him, and he is now likely heading to the D-League or Europe

Need to see more:

- Thomas Robinson (my rank 3, drafted 5)- I was high on Robinson.  He was a midrange game from becoming a double double player, in my opinion, and I claimed he was the most NBA ready player in the draft.  Oops.  He didn't fit in Sacramento, and Houston wasn't truly trying to hold onto him.  Enter Portland, where Robinson will play rotation minutes behind Aldridge and Lopez (who let's be honest about- I am quite skeptical).  Given the uncertainty surrounding Aldridge's future, Robinson could still breakout and prove he was worth a top 5 pick.

- Perry Jones III (my rank 10, drafted 28)- Jones slipped on draft day due to concerns about his knee.  Based off of talent, he could play the 3 or 4 very well, especially if he adds a 3 point jump shot.  In OKC, he was stuck on the end of the bench, and did not get many minutes to prove he belonged.  Given the opportunity, I think Jones III would show flashes of brilliance that led me to rank him as a top 10 candidate.  I need to see more...

- Austin Rivers (my rank 12, drafted 10)- Rivers had a maddeningly inefficient year, but should have learned a lot (fingers crossed)!  His shot selection should be better, and he ideally worked enough on his defense to stay in an improved Pelican rotation.  The ice beneath him is thinner, and Rivers needs to impress to avoid going into the "miss" category.

Other players who had a lukewarm rookie year, but who I fully expect to live up to their draft (and rank!) position:

Michael Kidd-Gilchrist (My rank 2, drafted 2)
Brad Beal (My rank 4, drafted 3)
Harrison Barnes (My rank 6, drafted 7)
Tony Wroten (My rank 15, drafted 25) *Edit- Wroten was just traded to the 76ers!  He should play more in Philly, and show he was worth a mid-first round grade.
Draymond Green (My rank 22, drafted 35)

No comments:

Post a Comment