Friday, January 18, 2013

A Week Of Controversy

This has been a big week.  Living in the state of Oregon (as an OSU student), I expected Chip Kelly's departure to be the top story to hear about, highlighted by saddened Duck fans and a nonchalant job search.  I say nonchalant because the OC there is a HEAVY favorite to get the job.  In the same week, there were some other controversies:

Lance Armstrong:  After years and years of denial, he finally revealed the dark fact that he doped for years in the sport, even starting doping before his cancer diagnosis.  I was firmly in the camp that he hadn't doped.  I was naive.  There was evidence that he had doped, but I looked to the lack of failed drug tests, and years of truly adamant denial.  Just as Rick Reilly said in his most recent article, I feel duped.  The research and fundraising for cancer research he has done has been incredible, a feat that shouldn't be pushed to the rear, but, he used LIVESTRONG to the point that the credibility of the non-profit could be damaged.  LIVESTRONG should remove Lance Armstrong from the company immediately. 

Manti Te'o:  Te'o had a great season if you ignore the national title game.  He succeeded in emotional times, though it turns out the emotion was mostly fake.  Te'o's story about being the target of a cruel hoax doesn't add up.  I can't believe his story.  There are quotes from many anonymous sources that Te'o was most likely involved in his "self-promoting" scheme.  His story is weird, one I didn't expect to write about, or even see in the media for that matter.  Te'o's draft stock should plummet due to character concerns.  Armstrong lied and cheated for years, but, for some reason I am just as sickened by Te'o's blatant lie.  This morning Tuiasosopo, the high school teammate, apparently came clean about his part of the hoax.  Unfortunately, I don't believe that part about Te'o not being involved.

When I was in elementary and middle school (even now to an extent), sports were fantasy.  I witnessed amazing feats by incredible athletes and coaches.  Lance Armstrong won 7 consecutive Tour De France's.  Without him, one could argue cycling would not be relevant in the United States.  Tiger Woods was the best golfer (could still be) the world had ever seen.  Watching Sportscenter on morning's before school, I would see a 2-minute golf segment that seemingly always ended with Tiger Woods on top of the standings.  I saw Joe Paterno's Penn State team win 10+ games in many years.  There were guns in an NBA locker room.  I grew up with a Blazers team known as the "Jail Blazers."  The world of sports is real, and unfortunately, many of the great athletes I admired as a child are too.  It's disappointing.

Today, I support a supposedly over-achieving Blazers team with players the entire state of Oregon admires.  I can't remember the last time a Blazer player was in trouble with the law (was it Z-Bo?).  It feels good to root for good people on good teams, especially when they win.  In every draft, players slide due to character concerns despite incredible physical talent.  Teams are becoming smarter about drafting, and acquiring, players who will help win games and be positive ambassadors for their respective franchises.  This has been a strange week, but the times are looking up once again.  At least I hope.

No comments:

Post a Comment